Meatloaf with Mushroom gravy. This meatloaf is dressed up with a seasoned mushroom gravy. Meatloaf is not the invention of thrifty housewives trying to stretch a small amount of costly meat with fillers and spices. In a small bowl, combine milk and cornstarch; set aside.
If you're a comfort food lover. The meatloaf itself is tender with two kinds of meat, garlic, onions and worcestershire. Now I know that meatloaf is traditionally topped with ketchup and my little guys might prefer it that way, but seriously, I'm a gravy kinda girl. You can cook Meatloaf with Mushroom gravy using 9 ingredients and 5 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Meatloaf with Mushroom gravy
- You need 1 1/2 lbs of ground beef 80/20 lean.
- Prepare 8 oz of fresh mushrooms sliced thin and chopped.
- You need 1/2 of medium onion chopped.
- It’s 3/4 cup of bread crumbs.
- It’s 1-2 of eggs.
- Prepare 2 tbls of Equal parts flour and butter.
- You need 1 (14.5 oz) of can beef broth.
- It’s to taste of Salt and pepper.
- You need of Ketchup.
Meatloaf with mushroom gravy is a savory blend of veal and pork with lots of fresh sage and a handful of spices that'll make you sit up and take notice. No ketchup here — this ain't no traditional meatloaf! Instead of using breadcrumbs to bind this meatloaf, you tear up bread into small pieces to provide delicate pockets of softness in each slice of meatloaf. For a decadent touch, the meatloaf is wrapped in bacon and served with a velvety mushroom gravy.
Meatloaf with Mushroom gravy instructions
- Sauté onion and 1/4 of the mushrooms in a bit of olive oil until onions are translucent and mushrooms have browned a bit, set aside to cool.
- Combine ground meat, cooled mushroom mixture, bread crumbs, eggs, and season with salt and pepper mix thoroughly.
- Lightly oil the bottom of a baking dish and form meat mixture into a loaf brush with ketchup.
- Bake in a 350deg oven for about 1 hour or until meat thermometer registers 135deg then remove from oven and rest for about 10 minutes before slicing.
- While meatloaf is in the oven melt butter in a heavy bottom sauce pan and sauté mushrooms until most of the moisture has evaporated, sprinkle with flour to make a roux (use more flour and butter if you want a thicker gravy) and cook for a couple of minutes add beef broth and bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer stirring until gravy thickens, adjust seasoning.
For this back-to-basics meatloaf, we magnified the mushroom flavor and streamlined the kitchen work. Though we would never fault the classic glazed loaf, a recipe for a rustic meatloaf with hearty mushroom gravy piqued our interest. Bite Me by Julie Albert and Lisa Gnat. So I said to Lisa, embellishing this diner delight is pas de problem. Just give it a French name.